Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Christmas in July?


"Christmas Cactus" that sits on my desk at work

This particular cactus has about four different plants in a long narrow flower pot. Each plant is a different color. This is the first time this marvelous peach color has shown up. My co-worker has a pot just like this (she bought us both one), and it's interesting that her peach one is blooming as well. The white one on the other end is also putting on blooms! The reddish and darker orangey colors all bloomed months ago. We have lots of flowers in the office, mostly African Violets. When I first started here over ten years ago, my co-worker 'V' had a couple of violets and I also had a couple. Then we decided to begin some starts by putting the cut leaves in water. We named the plants, we babied them and we grew crop after crop. Soon we ran out of space and we got bugs in the soil, so that ended our Violet Farming Adventure. It was quite exciting while it lasted! We still have 24 violets between us, as well as philodendrons, lilies, and other various plants.

Speaking of plants I believe we got one dumped off here at work! Yes, I've had dumped cats and dumped dogs, but this is the first dumped plant. It just 'appeared' in the office. No one seems to know where it came from. It isn't just some little old house plant either, no this thing is huge. I think it stands close to four foot high--some type of palm looking thing. It's hard to work around it. So far we just pretend its not here and manouver around it, watering it once a week, hoping it'll go away. We don't have the room for it.... but what to do?

No comments: