Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ashley

Puppies due August 30th! Which means they could come as early as this Wednesday.

As you know Ashley is going to be the proud momma (we hope).

"Ashley"
Milens High Steppin
(Ch. Milens Kelmar Solar Power x Ch. Milens Flower Power)

And here is the daddy.....

Fairlight Big Ba-Boone

Just kidding. This isn't Turner and Hooch..... However this will be their adopted daddy. Whether he wants to be or not.


He already puts up with allot from their momma....but he loves it. Most of the time.

Here is Ashley again....and this is the real daddy--

"Curt"
Canadian Champion Southland's Last Curtain Call
(Ch. Southland's Bowen Island x Tartanside Burlesque)

He is also a sable and white. If Ashley also carries tri-color (Black/white/tan), as does Curt, then there might be some tri pups, otherwise they will all be sable and whites. I've already started having dreams (nightmares?) about puppies and some of them were blue merle, which isn't possible in this litter.

I don't think Ashley looks very big, but then I'm used to sheep with babies bulging out all over. She has been very emotional and dramatic, especially with this continuing hot weather. I wish it would cool down a little so she would be more comfortable. She has to take a little walk every morning, but she'd rather just lay here in the hall and look miserable, thank you very much.

Both dogs nearly trample me to get inside in the evenings, when I turn the air on.

I'm getting nervous about the pups, but I'm trying not to think about it. I'm assembling a miniature whelping kit (as opposed to a large lambing kit) and praying for the best.

Ashley's breeder will be taking several of the pups. I will (probably) keep a little girl if one if available. There will most likely be a few available for-sale to pet homes. No, this is not going to be another case of keeping a whole litter! Thankfully I have Helen to keep me on the straight and narrow with this litter. It'll be hard though.

Ashley

Tomorrow I put together the cat proof whelping pen, and set up the whelping 'box' (an old plastic swimming pool). Ashley also gets a bath and the rest of her stringy hair trimmed off the critical areas. To set up the whelping area means that my entire (albeit small) 'living room' also gets dismantled. It's going to be crowded in the kitchen area, with the couch and other furniture shoved over there.

Ashley reluctantly posing in the hot weather.

I'll let you know what happens as soon as possible after the litter is born. If you are interested in a pup, email me for information! ;-) Here is hoping Ashley will have her litter safely and be a good mom.

Did I mention the last puppy that has graced the farm here was in 1998? Oh my.

8 comments:

Kati said...

OMG! I am a nervous wreck for you and Ashley. Post pictures as soon as they are born!

Vicki Lane said...

Lucky you! The last time we had puppies here was 1988. So much fun!

Louise said...

Sigh, she is so beautiful. You're going to have so much fun with the pups. I can't wait until they're born, and we can see them.

Michelle said...

And how COULD you tell if she was bulging under all that HAIR! Poor girl; that's no way to dress in your heat and humidity....

Tammy said...

I will certainly try Kati, just hoping it all goes well!
Vicki--I think it's easy to forget how full of energy puppies are after all this time, so it should be, uh, interesting. ;-)
Thanks Louise, she is very gentle natured, loves to shred everything and bark.
Ain't that the truth, Michelle! Although I've since cut off all her 'fringe' and will get all of the rest of the long stuff off tonight.
Tammy

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

Oh,my,Tammy,the puppies will have Tartenside in them? My heart has stopped for a moment.I wish you & Ashley an easy birthing process,I would love a pup but have to see how far away you are.She is so beautiful & such a happy looking collie,phylliso

Unknown said...

I see so much to be blogging about in the weeks to come! I can't wait to see Boone being a good daddy too!

Nancy K. said...

What beautiful puppies Ashley will have! Not quite as beautiful as they would have been had Boone been the daddy, but lovely, none-the-less...

Keeping Ashley (and you) in my prayers.