Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside!

Boone walks the runway in the latest fashion Dogue apparel.

And it isn't too warm inside either.. The high temps for today are suppose to be 20 but I think we are stalled out around 17. Nights will be in the single digits for the next week, with highs in the 20s most days. It's going to be a rough week. Today I'm trying to get the back room (where the wood stove is) up to 60 and it's starting to close in on it. I sure don't want to have any frozen pipes to deal with.
Ashley's making fun of me!

I've stuffed loose hay in the chicken house so the flock can have something warm to stand in. Some of them have ventured out but several opted to stay in their house today. I'm feeding them plenty of grain and lots of scraps, but I'm just not sure how this geriatric flock will make it in this extended cold spell.

My Dad brought his tractor up and we put out a new bale of hay for the ewes this morning. They are very happy to have a 'full plate' and it's satisfying to have that done. The sheep eat allot during cold weather like this. Everything went pretty smooth too with putting out the bale. The tractor started, gates weren't frozen to the ground and the bale loaded and unloaded smoothly from the bale buggy. The only glitch was clumsy frozen fingers trying to manipulate gates and latches, jacks and chains and hooks!

I also filled mineral feeders for the ewes and put a protein block in with the old ram, Blue and his son Lanny. Blue is looking a little rough around the edges so I'm hoping this will help him out.

Boone shaking out his new coat...


Lastly Boone is excited to show you the latest in Dogue de Bordeaux fashion apparel! Tired of seeing him shivering and looking pitiful (and I'm not sure how much of this is real or put on, because he wants to come in the house so bad--I have my suspicions), I pulled my zip up sleeveless jacket out and tried it on him.

Tempe and Trinity, snuggling by the fire

It actually fits pretty good, but needs the back sides taped or something so they don't hang down so much. I think Ashley was making fun of him, but at least he left it on. They did wear me down though and are in the house now. It's pretty crowded with wall to wall critter beds and dogs and cats, all hunkered around the stove.

"Please, please, please let us in"...sigh...okay!

Hope it's warm where you are, but it sounds like much of the country is going to be in the deep freeze this week. Have a good weekend!

Verity, Meshach and Tempe snuggled on the bed. What? Where's Meshach you say? See that lump in between the girls? That is Meshach!

12 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Same here -- cold, cold, cold and wall to wall dogs and cats.

Hang in there!

Vicki Lane said...

Meant to say I love the Doguewear.

Brenda said...

We just came in from doing chores and all the extra things that go with them in this cold weather. I was bundled up so much, about the only thing that got cold was my face. The vest looks great, by the way! Stay warm! :)

Tina T-P said...

We had two weeks of below freezing weather between T'giving & Christmas - That's all we need for the year, thank you very much. I hope it warms up for you soon :-) Happy New Year!

The Frugal Shrink said...

Hey, I went hiking yesterday in the freezing weather!!! ;) I felt less insane when I saw quite a few people were fishing- couldn't believe it. Poor Boone looks adorable in his jacket. ;)

Michelle said...

Not too cold here as our precip is in liquid form. Sorry to hear you're in the deep freeze; I hope it's not too hard on the sheep and chickens!

Pat in east TN said...

Boone really has made quite a fashion statement! The red really sets off his eyes, don't ya think? LOL

The cold, wind, and snow just continues on here and the 10 day forecast has more of the same.

Gail said...

Your sister sent me! I love the jacket for the big dog. All your animals look like sweetie pies.

Stay warm.

Kathy said...

Tammy, you have been in my thoughts this morning as I watch the weather channel and see how the cold has settled in on ya'll. Geez, you're getting our weather!
Looks like "two dog/multiple cats night" for you!
Take care of yourself, keep warm, and let us know if you need anything.

Shula said...

LOL I love the lump known as Meshach. It is cold here and the 2 small dogs have their coats on. My poor Jack Russell even needs to wear something in the house. Stay warm.

jokjak said...

Hi u can come to see me at www.greekromanart.blogspot.com

AJ-OAKS said...

Boone looks positively fantastic in red! And what a face he has. I love it. The pic of Ashley and Boone giving you the puppy dog eyes was very cute. How could you say no that those faces!! Ha Ha Believe, I know what it is like to have more cat and dog furniture in the house than people furniture. We had a bad freeze about a month ago. Pipes were double insulated, a de-icer for the water trough, etc.. Hope you and the critters stay warm through this terrible cold snap.