Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Friday, September 04, 2009

Another New Chair.....


This time its an inside chair. Technically it's not 'new' either...it's old but 'new' to me. I saw this cool retro (which sounds so much nicer than 'old') chair at an antique store awhile back. I really liked it, but being the tightwa..uh..frugal person I am, I didn't buy it. I was going to 'think about it'. Which usually translates into I forget that I just have to have something and never buy it.


So here almost two months later, I was actually still remembering that I liked it. Since I had to go to the big city for yet more cat food, it was time to make the decision. The minute I walked back in and saw it, it was a done deal. I still liked it--allot.

I'm guessing it's from the '50s--'60s maybe '70s, and it is wonderfully comfortable. In fact, I think it is one of the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in. And...get this... it swivels and rocks! Whoa.... How could I pass that up? The fabric was stirring around in my mind too...I'd seen it before. I was sure I had, but chalked it up to that 'era' and seeing others like it. My Mom brought up last night that we had a couch that was very, very similar to this fabric style and color. Ah, now I knew why it seemed so familiar to me!

So I think the chair is pink. A very, very light pink, but still, it has pink overtones....doesn't it? The feller that helped me load it went off to find it as I went to get my truck. I told him it was pink and it swivels and rocks, and he seemed duly impressed, especially by the pink part. Right.

After pulling the truck into the building, I see my helper feller wandering about looking for my chair. He wasn't even close to it. When I pointed it out, he blurted out--'you said it was pink! that's not pink!'..then quickly to cover what he obviously perceived as rude 'oh, but it's probably just me! Seriously, it's just me, but it looks tan....but..' What could I say? Mumble something about light pink, swivels and rocks.....

We got it loaded and helper was very talkative and helpful, but I eventually got away. I was quite disturbed to realize after driving all over town, that I'd left the chair cushion in the chair. The chair was strapped down well in the back of the truck, on a blanket to keep it clean. But there was that cushion, just waiting for a gust to carry it out into traffic. Thankfully it dawned on me before heading out on the main highway.

I'm hoping to re-arrange my living area so my little retro chair will look all cozy and inviting. Right now it's in the middle of the floor, covered up with throw. Sage moved himself and his nasty little teddy bear into it within five seconds.


Sage thinks it's his. We've had words, but so far I've only gotten to sit in it like five times. But I'm patient. He'll tire of it, eventually...surely.

5 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

That's a lonely road you are going down my friend, trying to out think a cat... ;-)

Vicki Lane said...

I love how any new sittable surface immediately becomes cat property -- that's how it works in our house.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Very cool chair.

Kathy said...

Score on the chair, Tammy! Clearly, Sage was sending you mind control messages about buying it. :)

Carolina Trekker said...

Oh, I love this post. I grew up in the 50's and the material on that chair & the style was one I remember. My husband's father passed away and his sister asked if he could help her husband transport her Dad's favorite wingback chair 1-1/2 hours away to North Augusta,Ga.where she lives. The boys had the chair loaded on its back in my husband's truck & were tying it down when brother Lee came out of the house & proceeded to supervise the loading. He put the chair's cushion inside the truck, stood the chair upright & tied it down.
They got on the Interstate and were tootling along with sister's hubby following the truck. Horrified, he saw the chair launch itself high above the truck & become airborne, heading right for him. It glanced off his car & the last he saw it was rolling and bouncing down the large grassy median of the Interstate. When they arrived in North Augusta a well meaning family member said..well, at least you have the cushion. It cracked everyone up. To this day years later those boys love to tell that story and become hysterical laughing over the tale of Dad's airborne chair. We wonder what became of it.