Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Just A Little Wether or Two....

Marty Robbins --Sweet little wether looking for a loving fiber home. Fleece is very soft and consistent. He has his mother's loving sweet personality.

Three Little Lambs went to the vet. When they left home they were rams. Then they had hoo--hooectomies (as Tina so eloquently puts it) and came home wethers. Very sad, miserable little wethers, with their sad miserable shepherd with them.

Tom T. Hall (& his sister Persia) Sold & going to his new home in June, I'm really going to miss this little character.

My little friends didn't want their (formerly nice) shepherd around them. But by nightfall, Tom T. Hall melted and just wanted me to hold him and give him a good scratch. The next day Marty Robbins gave in when he learned the joys of animal crackers. Freddie Fender isn't going to be as easy, but then he had already grown away from needing his shepherd. The boys were stiff the next morning, but seemed much better by the end of that day, running and playing with the others.
Freddie Fender (old picture)
Sold & going to his new home with his mother next weekend

This year has to be one of the friendliest bunch of lambs I have ever enjoyed having about. When I'm doing chores, there is this little entourage that follows me about, begging for scratches and hugs, sometimes jumping on my leg, or in the case of Tom, butting my leg. (While Tom is a gorgeous little fellow, with a very correct look, his early over-friendliness ensured his wether-ness. He will make someone a wonderful pet).

(These little boys went to the vet a week ago yesterday and seem to be doing fine. More importantly they still are my little buddies, tailing around after me as I do chores.)

1 comment:

Stella Jones said...

Dear little wethers x isn't it a shame when we have to do these things? I bet you hate it, but you know it has to be done. Those lambs are a gorgeous colour. Wish I could give them a home!
Blessings on your delightful farm.
Star