Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

and a Happy New Year!!

Beautiful River hopes for sweet little Spring (ewe) lambs!

The Chickens are dreaming about warm sunshine, kitchen scraps and green grass!

Just let out of their house in the morning, they stretch and preen, absorbing the winter sunshine. For those that remember Eddie and Sue, Sue is the grey hen in the front on the right. She is doing quite well after her reintroduction to the flock. She seems content to putter around with the rest of the flock.

Boone wants the ham hocks to just keep on a comin'!

And Ariel hopes for more good days to enjoy.

Here is hoping that you and yours have a blessed and wonderful New Year!

It's been a 'different' year to say the least. There were some incredibly hard days and some incredibly wonderful blessings and I'm very thankful we all made it through. "Hard times' seems to be the mantra, and every time I turn on the news, or something happens in the community, it feels defeating. I've worried and fretted and feared for myself and those around me, and I'm now tired of that. It does not accomplish anything. So, my 'action plan' is to do what I can to tighten up financial outflow, be aware of what is going on around me, but not dwell with the media in the throes of the agony.

I'm looking for options to improve my side line wool business, finding uses for all the bits of it, in a creative and productive manner. I plan to continue to keep the numbers of the sheep to a manageable manner, and market them in a more effective way.

It's so easy to worry myself through another day, instead of taking action and tackling some of these worries. Perhaps in only bite size pieces, but doing is so much more satisfying then thinking about doing something!

Some of my plans are opening a Etsy shop for the wool products, investing in having wool quilt batting processed, and perhaps eventually wool mattress pads. (I heartily vouch for how nice they are---I've never been as warm as I am this year at night).

Finally, I'm praying about and testing several avenues of 'creative outlet'. I've always drawn, sketched and made little crafty things, but I would like to really find something that catches my imagination and gives me a way to express creativity. Some things I'm dabbling with are felt watercolor, needle felting and other wool orientated projects.

Today, I hope to spend quietly, just piddling around doing what I like to do. Ham hocks and black eyed peas are simmering for supper, and I'm about to get out the seed catalog! I've got a wonderful large one from Baker's Heirloom seeds (which is only about a two hour drive from here) and am thinking about starting a few seeds inside this year. I have 'big' garden plans so we will see.... Later I'll take the dogs out for a walk and maybe work on cleaning up the woodpile a bit. I might read or tackle some other project, but nothing pressing. I have four days off and am looking to enjoy the break.

Have a great day!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so nice to hear from you Tammy and so many thoughts you have are like my own. Sometimes I just idle around the house just "thinking". I thumb through favorite gardening books and my folders of favorite country and garden clips I have saved from older magazines. I am going to check out Baker's. I have ordered from "Seed Savers Exchange" which also has heritage/heirloom seeds...they have a real nice catalog. Have a great weekend!

Claire MW said...

Sounds like you have some excellent thoughts about this year, and some concrete plans too! I think that's great. It's so easy to sit around complaining and do nothing. I like proactive solutions. Well done! I look forward to your Etsy shop!

Vicki Lane said...

I love seed catalog time! Plan to use Seed Savers among others. And we're resolving to grow more this year -- making this financial downturn something that will get us back to doing what we should have been doing all along -- consuming less, producing more.

Those of us with some land are in a lot better shape than many during these shaky times. You're right, Tammy, to stay positive!!

JK said...

Happy New Year Tammy! Wishing you the brightest and the best!

I am apprehensive of what winter weather lies ahead (praying there is no repeat of the ice storms you and I faced in the past) though like you trying to focus on being positive and productive.

Let's plan to get together soon.

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

It sounds like you have good solid plans for the coming year.I needlefelt too,so as to not waste any of the goats fleece.People have done alot with that craft.I`ve seen wallhandings made with the dyed wool,with hand stitching done to outline parts of a scene,there`s so much you can do with your wool.
I`ve been looking thru our seed books too,I`ll check out Baker`s.phylliso