Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Autumn Musings


Our Autumn season has been brief this year, with the colors not quite peaking before rains and wind took the leaves down. The weather, for the most part has been mild and unseasonably warm with a killing frost finally closing out the month of October. Once the frost came, many of the final leaves showered down like rain.Still, here and there , unexpectedly there were stunning glimpses of color; sun reflecting on ambers, golds, and scarlets, refracting light so it seemed the whole world glimmered in that moment; storms rolling in with dramatic cloud formations, shadow and dark highlighted by the sudden breaking through of a shaft of sunlight.Last night the 'time changed' or at least we humans pretended it did, and now the long nights begin. The dogs and I meandered out through the field for a soon to be rare evening walk. The weather is lovely and warm, maybe a bit too warm, but at this time of the year I won't question it. The breeze was soft and the earth smelled warm and damp.

Sunset


Ariel
Ariel wobbles about, not strong these days, but happy to be able to potter about with her 'pack'. Boone travels fast and strong across the field, checking out new scents and bit of sheep poo here and there.

Boone

The sheep are quiet, in from the pasture and munching on hay or fallen leaves. They are restless these days and quick to voice their opinion. Soon the breeding group will be broken up, and the main flock reunited. Chores will be easier then, more streamlined, as winter sets in.

As winter creeps closer, I am still marking off 'things to do' from my list and it is actually almost all done! This weekend I managed to get plastic up on the chicken house, bathe both dogs and wash up all the dog bedding, pull up the frost killed garden plants and a few other odds and ends.

Some of the girls and their giant bale of hay
(that is Echo the cat on the top of the bale)

With the evenings inside becoming 'long', maybe I'll be more regular on posting. I hope. Troubles with teeth have set me back some the last week or so, but on Tuesday the worst offenders will be pulled and once healed I'll have a partial plate. Perhaps not the best solution, but a more affordable option and certainly better than abscessed teeth and all the time and energy they rob from you.

Sweet Chickie and I hope you have a great week.

9 comments:

Nancy K. said...

What a wonderful post. The perfect way to end my day! Thank you.

Heading for bed in the Bluff Country...

Michelle said...

Ooooh, teeth troubles. I feel for you! Personally I like having more light in the morning to get me going. I wish we'd stay on standard time year-round!

Pat in east TN said...

Our fall has been the same way ... early frost + rain/wind brought down a lot of leaves and most of what are left are muted colors with an occasional golden here/there. Temps are mild for this time of year but a person can't hardly enjoy them with the ZILLON ladybugs that are in attack mode!!! What misery!!!

Hope your feeling better when your teeth problems are taken care of.

I also like the lighter mornings ... gives me some get up and go.

Esther Garvi said...

Lovely pictures! No autumn here either, but hey, we're in West Africa! :-)

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful post, Tammy. You are amazing in how much you get done.

Here's hoping your dental problems are over soon -- too miserable!

Kathy said...

I sure hope you're feeling better and the teeth problems will resolve. Bummer!
Our killing frost was at the end of Sept., but Oct. saw the leaves go brown and just fall after it. Now we have naked trees and are expecting some snow this week - a drastic change from our record-breaking warms last week.
Soon, it'll be time to do "indoor things".
You take care of yourself!

Unknown said...

It is so good to hear from you! I am glad all is well with you and the animals! I always enjoy reading your insight & perspective, esp. Boone's perspective:) I hope you can get all the work done on your teeth before the holidays. Its so annoying when things don't go as planned esp. when your by yourself! Take Care!

Deb said...

Beautiful photos.....the yellows and golds are just stunning. The winds have taken all of our leaves and everything looks so bare.

Your Sweet Chickie is lovely.

Best of luck at the dentist. I hope you feel so much better when it's over. I have two wisdom teeth coming out on the 14th :(

Tammy said...

Thanks everyone. Teeth are better...well gone to be more exact. I had two extracted (one was so abcessed that it had a bacterial infection in the bone, so it wasn't going to get better), and made the decision to get a partial plate. I pretty toothless right now while they heal, but hopefully will have new choppers soon! thanks for stopping in Ishtar! You are quite a far piece away, and it was interesting to visit your blog. ;-)
Tammy