Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Mock Hummingbirds...

I really don't know what these large moths are--I've always thought of them as mock hummingbirds. They look very much like a hummingbird, in the way they flit around, and the way they are made.They usually come out around dusk, and are quite frenetic in their activity. The Four O'clocks seem to especially draw them.If anyone knows what these insects are, I'd be interested in hearing their proper name and history.

5 comments:

Pat in east TN said...

I do not know their names or their history either, but what is funny is that is what we refer to them too ... mock hummers.

Vicki Lane said...

It's a sphinx moth -- but which one I wouldn't know. According to my little book of moths and butterflies, there are over 100 North American species. I took a picture of one just yesterday - a great huge thing on the inside of one of our screens. They are wonderful to watch working the flowers in the early evening.

Anonymous said...

I don't know either.

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

I believe they can be called hummingbird moths too,I just took a pic of one at our place,first I saw them this year.phylliso

Jacobs Friends said...

We have them all over our 4 o'clocks as well... Vicki is right... they are a Sphinx Moth. Another name is Hawk Moth. We had to look them up for 'science' with the kids. Home Schooling is such fun!