Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dark Lady of the Shadows

Getting ready to wean the lambs takes some prep work. Fences have to be checked, hay feeder filled and the water tub turned over, ready to fill. Imagine my surprise when I flipped the black rubber tub over and found this large lady. She was pretty surprised too. Sorry the pictures are so fuzzy--I really did try. For about three seconds. She had quite a little secluded home until I came along and disrupted it all. Black Widow spiders are not that common but I have seen a few around here over the years. This has to be the biggest one though. I did a little reading on them after finding her, and found out that their bite is not the death sentence I had always heard. People can and do die from them, but mostly if you have a compromised health system to start with. They will make you ill and they can cause severe muscle cramps and other unlovely things. However they are extremely shy and non aggressive, so will seldom attack or go on the defensive. The exceptions are if you accidentally grab one, or threaten their egg sac.

They tend to make their homes low to the ground and in dark, concealed places---so be careful where you stick your hand when you are out and about on the farm!

I don't know where this lady will take up her new residency, but I do know every time I walk in that paddock I step high and feel uneasy!

7 comments:

Pat in east TN said...

Ooooh, black widow's do make me shudder, and I believe it's because of their reputation, but then I am amazed at their beauty. I have found several over my years in NC and here in east TN, and try and be alert when sticking my hands in dark, secluded places.

Crosswinds Farm said...

Beautiful....in a creepy sort of way, but I'm glad I haven't seen any of those around here!

Vicki Lane said...

Mindful living -- it's what we who live with copperheads and black widows in our back yards must practice.

Anonymous said...

Ewww yuck!

Michelle said...

I have never ever seen that infamous red marking, so I'm not sure I've ever seen a Black Widow. They don't worry me that much; I AM very thankful that there are no poisonous snakes around here!

Unknown said...

okay,so now I will be looking for one..yuck. I get a lot of those ugly wolf spiders at my house but nothing is nastier than the big black snake my neighbor just shot last week....country life at its finest:)PS..my favorite photo is the first one....I love mornings in the country too!

Janna's Page said...

EEEK!! EEEK!! That gives me the willies and it is just a pic!