Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Monday Lambs

Here he is---almost full grown already!

Showing off his little head markings for me.

Little Birdie is the latest to lamb. She is a little thing, and her lamb is a huge single ram lamb. She had it between barn checks at 9:30 p.m and 1:00 a.m. She seems to be very sore, but is eating and attentive. "Kelly" is a little bruiser and is very solemn and still--until he wants momma then he demands her attention!

I'm really proud of this little ewe. She is a great first time mom and from the very first was proud and defensive of her little one. She keeps a very close eye on him and goes around pawing everybody out of the way so 'his highness' can walk through. This is a very nice put together little ramling.

Sheltering Pines Jerome (Moorit Flecket) and Fairlight Birdie (Black) produced this strapping little fellow, and he is the only Jerome baby that will be born here this year. He is black and has some nice krunet type markings on the top of his head and ears. He also has a little zig of white on his face. Not sure what sort of fleece type he will have, as I'm a bit bleary eyed at the moment.

I've been sick with some kind of virus for quite a few days now, and it sure has made lambing season more difficult.

Only two more ewes to go! Duckie will be 'whenever', but she looks very close, and Luna won't be until around the 12th. I'll be really glad when its all done!

No comments: