Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Friday Lambs

Here is a bad blurry picture of the both of them--at one day old.

Here is the little moorit. Nice crimp on these girls.

Here they are, Rouen's special girls.

Rouen decided to lamb only one day ahead of schedule. Rouen is very dramatic about everything, including lambing, and will start showing signs up to two days early. She will hover off by herself, stake out a spot, look worried, look wary etc. etc. So Friday morning I went off to work, knowing that she wouldn't lamb anytime soon. I was right--it wasn't until 2:00 a.m. on Saturday morning that she finally had her lambs.

She pulled a very similar act as Tab--baa-ing and running around. I locked her in the barn and went back to bed. :-) Sometime in there she had her first lamb---a lovely little moorit ewe. I went ahead and jugged her, since the jug is rather roomy. While I was still there watching the newborn she started laboring again, and presented a huge mass of fluid and baby---it twitched so I knew there was a baby inside. I could not tell position or anything, but she was straining hard. I went and plugged in the barn lights and took off my coat to see if I could see what was going on, and she plopped it out. It was presented in the correct way (head first), but it could have had legs back for all I could tell. It was another ewe and is black. So Locksfield Griffin (black) and Shandrew Rouen(black) presented me with another set of twins. Girls are ahead now! The black girl has a tiny little krunet type marking on the top of her head, but I haven't seen any white on the moorit. They are extremely cute. The black lamb is a duller shade as opposed to Tabitha's bright shiny black girls. Does this mean anything? It seems like I remember something that indicates something. ha... Both Rouen and Tabitha have shaela in their pedigrees.

Rouen is very proud of her little gals.

No comments: