Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

For Kathy---Bobbin pictures!


For those of you not interested in the guts of a spinning wheel, you might just want to skip this post! ;-)

For Kathy, who is a very delightful and helpful lady--here are a couple pictures of the bobbin and how I have the belt loaded onto the bobbin and wheel. I know that the pictures leave allot to be desired, but hopefully you can make out the important parts. I really enjoyed our conversation the other night. I know modern technology is wonderful and around every corner, but I still find it rather mind boggling that I can talk to a new friend from Arizona, and try and pull up an email from her at the same time. It's pretty cool to find like minded sheepie people who you have no trouble at all talking to for an hour or so! Thanks again for your insights and for taking the time to help me out with this!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I see exactly what you mean about the bobbin, Tammy. As long as this will owrk when you spin - able to put twist in your fiber as well as "draw in" to place the fiber on the bobbin - you're in great shape. You should be prepared to spend time playing around with different things (that wooden tension screw in the front).

To get yourself started, take about a meter (39 to 40 inches) of a finer yarn you might have as waste, lightweith string can work in a pinch)....fold it in half and do a small overhand knot at the end with the two cut ends. Now around the bobbin shaft...draw one end of the loop you've just made through the other end and snug it tight. It should now look like you've lassoed your bobbin. :) The end you are holding, run it through those metal loops you're replacing with cup hooks and out through the orriface. You will use this to start spinning off of by taking a bit of your fiber and folding some of the fibers over the loop. Treadle. The twist should move up your string/yarn until it twists the fiber closed in between the loop. As you draw out a bit of your fiber, the string will eventually wrap itself around the bobbin and be replaced by the yarn single you are creating.
And if there's a problem, just let me know! I'd be happy to help you through this! Anytime!

And thank you so much for your kind comments. How sweet of you! I can only hope we get to actually meet someday!

Kathy said...

BTW...The driveband looks spot-on! Good job! :)

Janna's Page said...

hehehe I still think you should have learned a drop spindle. :)

But I am biased.

I am glad you are taking up spinning though, I think you will enjoy it.

Janna

Michelle said...

So are you trying to spin yet??? What I would give to fly down there so we could just talk and spin together! A newbie and a newbie-newbie, but we'd have fun....