Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Back in Business!


Yipee! The power is back on after twelve days! My Mom called me around 3:00 p.m. yesterday and said theirs was on, which meant mine probably was too, since they only live a short distance away. I took off work early, rushed home and immediately went to the well house and turned the breaker on. Then I went in the house, and started refilling all the water buckets and containers....just in case....then a load of laundry in the washer, a load of dishes in the sink to soak and outside to carry buckets of nice unchlorinated well water to the sheep.

Later back in the house, I cleaned out all the remaining 'suspect' things out of the refrig (all the spoilables had been fed to the chickens a little at a time), then I used warm water and bleach and cleaned it all out better than it has been since I got it! Its so shiny and white (and empty) that it hurts my eyes with its brightness when I open the door. ;-)

As night closed in, I turned on all the lights in the house just because I could, flushed the toilet quite a few times whether it needed it or not, and even turned the t.v. on (although that was a colossal waste of time, as it just had its typical garbage on it...only in reruns). I ended up reading the first couple of chapters of 'The Thorn Birds' (my sister says the book is much better than the movie).

Sage was delirously excited about it all, picking up on my excitment, I think. He was rocketing here and there, leaping and twirling and sending things flying. Meshach sat around squinting his eyes at the bright lights and later was thrilled to pieces to discover meanie me had finally turned on the water!

Where we live we are one of the last houses on our power provider. The houses to the west and north are all on a different power provider. Last night I could still hear several of their generators running, and felt quite sorry for them. I hope they get power today. I can now see the 'normal' lights to the east and south, and of course all our various lights on our properties. Things are starting to get back to normal....hmmmm...normal.....

Pictures are at my mailbox, looking along the road and my front boundary fence. Second one is the driveway, and front outside yard area. Third is looking towards front outside yard area and the Catalpa tree limbs.

No comments: