Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Its Gone!

Thankfully all but in a few sheltered spots the snow and ice have melted. I am very glad. This week the temps promise to rise into the 60s. This is good too. Of course with all the rain, and then melting snow and ice, it has become very muddy and sloppy. All in all though this is a good thing (I keep telling myself as I knock off giant gobs of goo from my boots), since we really need the moisture in this area.

I went through the whole storm and aftermath, carefully tottering around trying not to fall, only to develop a 'duh' moment and go striding out to feed Eddie & Sue (chickens), without stopping to think that there might be some re-frozen ice patches after the thaw. One foot hit the ice, then the other and I did a complete flop up into the air--bucket and feed flying. I landed mostly on my left side, where I wallered around in the ice and mud for a moment or two, thinking I had seriously hurt myself. I ended up pulling the muscle in the back of my leg, but it has healed quickly and I only notice it when I have been sitting for awhile and then stand up. The bucket was not so lucky and did not survive the fall. It was a galvanized pail and one I use to do chores everyday. The bottom sprouted a hole along the seam, so its next life will be as a flower pot. I'm hoping they are still making these galvanized buckets, since they are 'just right' for chores.

Both batches of sheep (the girls and Blue (the merino ram) and his buddy Lanny Wilson) now have big round bales out again, and the weather is warm enough that ice isn't piling up in the water tubs. I think after today the hoses will unthaw and maybe I won't have to carry water for a few days. Things are definately looking up!

I'm posting some pix taken the next day or so after the storm passed through. It was beautiful. I took the dogs for a walk in part of the cedar grove and they and I had fun looking (me) and sniffing (them) at various tracks. Some were turkey tracks, and perhaps some coyote (or a large dog). The coyotes have been very loud the last week about dusk. If you've never heard coyotes sing, it can be quite an exprience. Simply saying they are 'howling' doesn't do it justice. Sometimes they sound like a siren in the distance, or a woman being murdered, or perhaps someone being gagged and strangled....they get quite creative in their 'songs'. I'm sure if you didn't know what it was, it could be quite frightening! I enjoy their songs, as long as they keep to themselves and leave my sheepies alone.

No comments: