Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Booster SHOTS???

Mom told me I was going back to the vet for "booster shots" and I was real brave about it. But she didn't tell me anything about EARMITES and having my ears CLEANED! It was awful and I wasn't very quiet about it either. I sat like a trooper for the shots, but when they started putting stuff in my ears and digging around in them, well I let them know how I felt about THAT! At least I'm not suppose to have to go back now for awhile.....except for some sort of 'surgery' in a few months........


Today was booster shots for the kitten... It went well, except earmites were discovered! I have to work on his ears some more later and put in some earmite medicine, since he was becoming so worked up at the vets we decided to let me finish at home. Doc showed me the ear mites on the slides--something I had never seen before: earmites eating, earmites breeding, earmites laying eggs, earmites just hanging out. It was horrible---trust me if you've never seen them in action, you don't want them on your cat! It looked like something out of a Stephen King movie. The vet tried to convince me that humans get them too, but I was PRETTY sure we don't.......or as I asked do WE?...as my ears began to itch.... People do not get earmites from cats for the record! It was interesting and sobering to see how something so tiny and invisible to the eye could be so active and, well, savage looking! No wonder cats scratch so hard at their ears when they have earmites.

Its a beautiful weekend here, with sunny skies and a strong breeze. The skies feel 'high' which is something that I think of as fall skies in my mind. I can't really explain it, but the feeling is there. I've got to get out and clean out a stall in the barn, and maybe clean out my really, really dirty truck. I need to get it inspected and it needs all the help it can get to look presentable, so they don't think that its merely held together by dirt and rust! Have a great weekend!

No comments: