Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Monday, March 02, 2015

Just Another Snowy Day

This seems to be the winter that won't stop and we haven't even had to deal with the brutal conditions that many have faced this year.  Saturday we got another round--cold, some freezing rain, about five inches of snow.  It made for interesting chore times.  Sunday rolled around and the temperatures had risen into the lower 30s and I was able to snap a few (zillion) pictures.  I have lots of 'help' with the chores.  Here are a few examples.

 Carly & Tang checking for rats in the hay barn.  

Not helpful, but another thing being dealt with right now in this cold weather--Gracie has something wrong with her eye--it seems to be ulcerated but cause unknown.  The vet prescribed ointment and that didn't work (besides the fact it would get so cold it wouldn't come out of the tube), now she is on prescription drops that had to be filled at the human drugstore--and Gracie DOESN'T have health insurance!   Not to mention that she has not been very cooperative about it.  She is thrilled that she finally has gotten on the list--after all these years-- to get grain at night now too--the only way I can bribe her into the 'torture' chamber.  By the way the eye looks much worse now. 

Not sure who is wooliest--Ranger the Shetland (sheep) or Minty the Collie (Dog).  Minty thinks she is the boss of everybody so she was on guard to bark if Ranger moved on inch closer.  He isn't impressed. 

Ashley appears to be helping by pushing the sled, but actually she was waiting to walk in the path I broke.  She is lucky she is cute. 

Dog Down!  A little emergency snow between the toes removal.  Right in my path too. Never mind that it's slick, I'm dragging a sled with hay and coming off a small incline. 

Tang isn't crazy about the snow, but he is pretty serious about 'helping' with the chores.  See he is growing a little!

Fritzi (Center) and a pack of girls around him wait patiently for hay.  The true story is I got a different pair of coveralls and they can't decide if I'm friend or foe.  Fritzi is also trying to look cute and innocent because he has been on my black list since he rammed me one morning.  Long story--but let's just say he perceived an injustice when I let Gracie instead of him finish off some leftover old-folks grain. 

Tang inspects the leaning tower of hay feeder.  Could be a little cleaner Ma!  

Tang checking hay quality.  Not so good in this bale, Ma. 

I think we should feed this bale tonight points out Carly.  She is so pleased with herself because she got up the nerve to jump up all over these hay bales.  She thinks it's so awesome she should get a treat every.single.time.  I don't know why she looks all clean and groomed here, because she isn't--they are all pretty grimy. 

Yikes!  Don't leave me out here alone with this mob!  Run Tang Run!
Meanwhile back in the house the cats are working hard at keeping the bed warm.....  Actually there is a heated 'half' blanket on there so it's kitty toast central.  The one I wanted to lay on it was Meshach my soon to be 18 year old man--but he is stubbornly laying at the head of the bed where there is no heat.  That is Sage's teddy bear laying in the middle, keepin' warm with the cats.  Left to right Trinity, Gabe, Tempe (Torti), Sage, Noah & Meshach in the very back.  Verity and Chaco were probably under or behind the stove......    

Hope Spring will come soon and that you are all making it okay through this winter!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad my bed isn't the only one that is taken over by cats! I like the sled idea for moving a bale....never thought of that....I just carry the bale and swear up a storm when I fall with it;) Rain is coming in tomorrow....guess that as springy as it gets for now:(

Michelle said...

I'm sorry you're getting bad weather like so much of the country. Glad you have lots of help! ;-)

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, such wonderful pics of your critters! I especially love the crazy cat lady bed.

Tina T-P said...

Hope you and all your furry children had a good Easter Sunday. Our choir did the service at church (our minister is part time and she was at her other church this weekend) We went to Easter dinner at the family of our Goddaughter and by the time we got home, we were pretty tired - I laid down at about 5 pm and slept until about 8:30!
I hope your Gracie's eye is getting better - Don't you wish you could make them understand why you are torturing them?
I like your new Kitty Condo - each one has their own little cubbie - very convenient!
Thanks for your comments about Bella over the last month. Take care. T.

Stella Jones said...

Love all your animals and I hope Gracie's eye soon improves. Perhaps by now the weather there is better? I do hope so.
How are YOU?

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

I really had to laugh at your bed! You should see mine!
Loving looking at your pets again, going to try to begin faithfully blogging, it really keeps me centered & not feeling as if I am alone, Phyllis

Knatolee said...

Seeing your bed makes me feel less insane! Glad I'm not the only one with six or more cats on her bed. :)