Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Catio Saturday

 Saturday was about as fine a day as it gets--sunny, warm--but not hot--and a lovely breeze.   On the agenda for the day was installing a new 'cat shelf' in the Catio and also dragging a large tree branch into their Catio for a taste of wild.   I had my eye on this particular branch for some time.  It was from my plum tree and had been damaged, but not broken during the Ice Storm in 2007.   I finally got it chainsawed off and dragged out to the catio area but hadn't gotten it installed yet.  

After luring the kitties inside with the promise of treats, I shut off all access to the great outdoors (otherwise known as the catio).  Then I proceeded to drag the limb in and secure it safely, and also do some cleaning and other maintenance, all the while being aware of staring faces and wailing voices at at the inside windows.

As soon as I got things under control I let the kitties come out and 'help' me.  We got the shelf up in good time and they tested the tree and shelf and were very very happy kitties.  About the only thing they love more than their Catio is having me out there with them.  I have no idea why but it seems to make them happy.  

Here are a few pictures of contented kitties soaking up the sun.  I have more kitty pictures of them exploring their new 'tree'.....maybe in a few days I'll get that posted.  

Sage Grass Cat snoopervises tree activities
  

Verity getting high on sunshine, warm pavement and a wad of wool fleece

Noah loves his catio and found a glorious patch of sun

Isn't this the best --soaking up some sunbeams

I couldn't stop taking pictures of him....

Utter contentment (utterly destroyed two seconds later when his brother ambushed him)

Tempe in High Places

Trinity on the new 'East Shelf"

Chaco on the 'High Shelf'

Chaco again--cats and sunshine make me smile

Trinity was quite possessive of the new East Shelf--it's mineminemine!

Tempe feeling the wind in her furs
Gabe doing his best Dr. Suess character impression
Hope you enjoyed a sunny day in the Catio!

4 comments:

Sue said...

Oh yes!! I think I'd like to sit there in the sun with them and daydream.
Sue

T. Powell Coltrin said...

They are all funny. Trinity is stretching out quite long to claim the shelf.

Tina T-P said...

Sometimes when mine go out on prowl, I wish I had a catio to keep them safe - but when they know the wild, I don't think they'd be at all happy.. Yours look like they are having a pretty darn good time. Great to see you "back" :-) T.

Tammy said...

They do love their catio and it is soothing to sit out there and watch them enjoy themselves. Tina--luckily these kitties were brought in before they new 'true' freedom. Sage my older cat didn't enjoy the catio for the longest time, because he was a 'street' kitten before he came here and didn't want to be outside in that scary world that was full of dogs. I love not having to worry if they are going to make it home--spent too many years doing that and lost so many to various things--ran over, shot, or gone without a trace. This is as good a compromise until something better comes along..ha..
Tammy