Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ashley Has a Secret.....

Walnut sized secret(s). Can you guess? Remember way back when I got her a year ago? Way down in this blog entry is a hint at the secret.

And it's going to happen soon, real soon. Much too soon. Even if I am in obvious denial.

Any guesses?

Okay.... I won't keep you in suspense. If you read that blog entry you'll see in there that part of the deal in getting Ashley was the 'small chance she would have to whelp out a litter of puppies'. Well, Plan A and Plan B had to be spayed. Ashley is Plan C.

I feel overwhelmed at the moment. Puppies! I'm still recovering from kittens! Ashley isn't getting any fatter though, so at some moments I think she isn't...but she acts different, so I think she is. Just so you know they won't be all my puppies (which translates to mean I can't keep them all!), even though I might keep one.. if there is one that is keep-able and not spoken for.

She will be staying here to whelp them out. Too much work I know, but I want her to stay home and not go away for eight weeks. I can't imagine the depression that'd send the big guy into.

One thing for sure the puppies will be very well socialized....to cats!

More details to follow.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

So are you going to retire so you can stay home and raise baby animals? I mean, is it possible to do that AND work full time?? Girl, you're crazy. ;-)

Louise said...

You know, when I was growing up, one of my favorite series of books was the "Lad" series, by Albert Payson Terhune. I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't associate rough coated collies with Lassie. But, I did grow up thinking that they were the most wonderful breed of dog there was.

I went back and read your earlier blog. Ashley is just beautiful, she, apparently socialized just fine with Boone and the other critters. What an experience to whelp out a litter of her puppies.

Sharrie said...

I am looking forward to this. I have never followed a bunch of collie puppies. Scooter is excited!

Vicki Lane said...

So now, not only are you the crazy cat lady but you're adding puppies to the mix. Oh my. But what fun!

Kati said...

Holy Cow - er pup! You are going to be one busy lady. I don't blame you for not wanting to send her away though. When is she due?

Kati said...

Holy Cow - er pup! You are going to be one busy lady. I don't blame you for not wanting to send her away though. When is she due?

Kati said...

Holy Cow - er pup! You are going to be one busy lady. I don't blame you for not wanting to send her away though. When is she due?

Nancy K. said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see her puppies. Is the sire a sable as well? Ashley is so beautiful! Oh, my! Boone is going to be an Uncle...

;-)

AJ-OAKS said...

Kittens and now puppies!
Been there done that when we raised Boxers years ago.
So, are you going to keep a pup?
What do you think Boone's reaction is going to be with those puppies? He might just want one of his own! :)

Tammy said...

Michelle, I wish! Well, maybe not raise baby animals, but the retiring part sounds great. :-)
Louise--I read all the Albert Payson Terhune books too! For me they were an extension of "Lassie" which I watched on t.v. and read all the Little Golden Books stories about. My first dog I got when I moved out on my own was a collie---in fact the day I moved into my home was the day I got her (although I had boughten her right after she was born). I am nervous about having puppies here and them being placed in good homes.
Sharrie, you'll have to keep Scooter updated! ha..
Vicki, Not really something I would have chosen to do if there were other options, but I just keep thinking it'll only be 8-10 weeks! ha....
AJ--Yes, I plan to keep a little female if one is available (the breeder has first dibs on show quality pups). I'm not sure how Boone will react, but he will be heavily supervised until they are older. I think he will be fine once they actually start looking like 'dogs'.
Tammy