Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Saturday, November 07, 2009

It's Been A Week...

Chaco and Noah

Just a quick update, since my computer is being squirrelly.

First, Noah, the little orange kitty has been very, very ill. At this point it looks like it being from the Advantage spot flea treatment I put on them three Saturday's ago. My best guess is he probably ingested it from licking if off his litter mates. I've had him to the vet twice and all blood work and exams show him to be very healthy. However he began having severe seizures last Sunday and had them all week, about every 4 to 5 hours. During the off times he has been very out of it, and his cognitive abilities have suffered.

I'll try and post a more informative post on this later, in hopes it will give a warning to others. Thursday I noticed a change in the pattern of the seizures, with more time between each episode. Friday he stopped having seizures and hasn't had any that I know of since. He is acting close to 90 percent normal today, and seems to be much more alert and aware. He still has a slight bit of cognitive problems, and seems very tired but otherwise the change is remarkable. Prayers and good thoughts for continued healing would be much appreciated. It's been emotionally exhausting and painful to see such a healthy young kitten go through this.

We've all been worried....

His little kitty family took good care of him, cleaning him up after the seizures and surrounding him and cuddling close to him, to give him comfort when he needed it. Gabriel was especially concerned and would stay close with his arm around Noah much of time. I would hold him during the night after he had his seizures, but they would take over in the day and keep him warm and comforted when I put him back in the box at night.


Secondly a week ago Wednesday I started getting sick. I ended up being pretty sick Thursday evening, all Friday and Saturday, and started getting a little better on Sunday. I finally went back to work Tuesday. I'm guessing it was some sort of flu virus. Respiratory, fever, chills, aches, and the worst part, just having zero energy. Doing chores took every ounce of energy I could muster. My Mom even came up and helped me one night, carrying in wood, building a fire and helping with some of the chores. I haven't been this sick in years. I'm still doing allot of coughing, and energy levels aren't what I'd like, but am doing much, much better.


Today the sun shone and the temperatures were in the 70s. After my Dad jump started my rider mower I was able to finally get the place mowed. It looks so much better. I can't believe it took so long to get this chore completed, but events just conspired against it.

That's the brief update. I better get this posted before the evilness that lives in my computer tonight swallows it up.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry to hear of the many troubles at Fairlight Farm. I do so hope the coming week treats you all much better!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Those little faces are killing my heart. Praying big time.

Did we forget to tell your sister to come mow for you?

Tina T-P said...

I'm glad you are better - this year's flu seems to really knock the stuffing out of people - it's has gone through a lot of my coworkers - so far, I have escaped.

Hope the kitteh is doing better.. T.mail

Kathy said...

I think with time Noah may have a great recovery, Tammy. You both need good nursing care - that makes ALL the difference. I think it could have been something else along with the chemicals - you mentioned the fever. I know the antibiotics could have helped that too - we all can have seizures if our temps get too high.
I am still keeping you both (as well as all the other critters) in my prayers and thoughts. Bless you all.

I need orange said...

So sorry you and the kitty were sick.

Hoping both of you feel better and better with every passing day!

How sweet that his siblings worried about him. Glad your mom was there to help you!

Shula said...

I'm sorry you and Noah are sick, but I am glad you are both starting to feel better. (Hugs) for both of you.

Vicki Lane said...

May you and Noah both recover quickly!

Pat in east TN said...

Goodness sakes, what a week you've had!

TxFarmhouse said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your little kitty being so sick. Just an FYI for all you folks out there. Another blogger friend over at EquusVilla.blogspot lost her precious Corgi, Chrissy, to putting Advantage on her. She starting having seizures and ended up having to put her to sleep. I'm glad to hear that your kitty is getting better.
I've been fighting that same horrible cough too. Hope yours is getting better.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Watch Lysol product with your little one as well. I have a cat that seizures whenever she encounters Lysol floor cleaner...

Love the Boone story above!