Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Monday, October 12, 2009


Just before was truly lovely in these quiet moments

Well...I'm back! I took two nights away from the little farm, just doing as little as possible. I went down to the Lake, which is less than an hour and half away (in case I needed to rush back). Since it's off season, I got a pretty good deal on a little cottage that was lakeside.

Just after sunrise....

It was nice. Not having a thing I had to do. However by the last morning I was getting bit restless. I left early on Friday morning (well, if you count 10:00 a.m. as early), after assuring the cats, kittens and dogs I'd only be gone a few days and then I would be back. Just getting ready for two nights away had exhausted me, and caused the pain in my hip (which I have self diagnosed as the sciatic nerve acting up), to almost stop me in my tracks so to speak. My nerves were shot. My Mom stepped in and did the chores for me while I was gone. Everything went very well, she said. I checked with her after each 'chore episode' to make sure. The sheep went without grain for two whole days. I didn't want her out there being shoved around by rowdy sheep. They had free choice hay at night off the big round bale. They didn't die. I know--amazing.

The cats were sad. The dogs were a sad. But they also survived. The kittens were a mess. They clung onto my shirt and cried and cried when I put them up the first night back. They insisted on being held and cuddled. Sheesh. Meshach and Sage sadly resigned themselves to being the only family they had left, and curled up on the pillows of the bed to wait out another lonely day. (from what I hear...)

Coming home, I got a few cold shoulders, but for the most part I was welcomed back in a cloud of fur, meows, slobbers and a few baas.

I loved this couch...wish I could have smuggled it home!--sliding glass doors facing the lake just to the left.

Back to my mini vacation. I went shopping the first day. I'm not a very good shopper, so I enjoyed it all of about two hours. I'm astounded at how much color coordinated new junk is out there. It boggles the mind. Try to find something that you need though, and chances are they won't have it 'in stock'. What are some of these stores--several acres big---and they can't carry something useful? So by the time my shopping excursion came to an end, I was getting a little cranky. I did enjoy visiting a book shop in the outdoor mall and a few other novelty places. The big Hyvee grocery store was fun, even if a little overwhelming.

Then it was off to the resort. There I checked in, carried in all my stuff (and there was allot!), and didn't stir out of the cabin until Sunday morning, when I reloaded and left. It was a kitchenette so I was able to bring in food and snacks. I had also brought some wool felting projects and some water color supplies, so I piddled with those projects, and read (I brought a huge stack of books...), made lists (for the working part of my vacation), and watched Animal Planet. I cranked up the thermostat (what a novelty!) and opened the window and door. It was warm inside, but there was fresh air. I slept with the window open and enjoyed the cool air off the lake and hearing the waves.

The only fly in the ointment were other people.... There was a fishing dock near the back of my unit and I was often startled to look up and see someone just standing there. (a shocking thing to a country dweller). The weather was cold and rainy Friday, but Saturday was lovely, although still cool. The boats came out in full force and seemed to take great fun in dashing from one end to the other of the lake. When they got too loud, I just shut the door and turned on the t.v.

Boats, boats and more boats...

It was fun having cable (to watch the animal shows) and to have the easy access heat (with no work involved!). Not having chores to do, was a huge and wonderful luxury, even if I did worry a little. It's good not having the cable at home (I'd never get anything done) and probably the heat too (I'd have huge bills, cause I'd crank 'er up). I enjoyed the beautiful views of the lake but felt just a little sorry for the people that considered this place 'quiet and peaceful'. I'm blessed and I often forget that.

It's good to get home though. I missed the critters, and even my untidy little home. I've got a list a mile long and hope to get some of it scratched off and feel a sense of accomplishment.

First up after I unloaded the truck at home and settled in, was cleaning out the wood stove and pipes. The house was chilly, although not freezing by any means. It took me about an hour and half to get it all cleaned out; pipes, stove (inside and out). I also had to tear any errant vines off the outside chimney. First fire went great. It started right up and burned nicely all night. Just enough to take the chill off the house. While I was at it, I got out the storm door insert and switched it out with the screen insert. It was very dirty , but Ashley helped me with wiping it down. By then it was chore time, and a quick walk with the dogs.
Ashley points out a streak on the storm door....

Today, it's cool and rather dreary, but so far I've cleaned out the back garden, dug potatoes (really this was pathetic...), and cleaned out an old section of fence on the chicken pen, and put up a new section of welded wire. Next I'm off to clean out the pantry/wool room. I need to inventory and make some order in that wildly disarrayed mess!

Have a good one!

p.s. In case you were wondering and didn't see it in the comments section, Sage is fine! He was on the mend by Tuesday and acts like his old ornery self. I'm so thankful!


Vicki Lane said...

A perfect vacation! A relaxing change . . . and then you're glad to get home.

Pat in east TN said...

I'm glad you took some time off! A couple of days away and I just get anxious to be back home, and I don't have animals to tend to like you do. Hope this week goes well for you.

Journaling Woman said...

I am very jealous. I also want a couch like that one. Maybe "we" can build one.

Glad you got away!!! You work very hard for the critters, Dr. Medicine Sister. ;)

Journaling Woman said...

Oh, I got so excited over the couch that I forgot to say I love the photos...and you should frame them...and hang my house.

Kathy said...

It sounds like you had a really nice getaway, Tammy. good for you. We all need that once and a while. Although I miss and worry about the animals when we go somewhere, I love to get away from the dishes, dusting, vacuuming, etc. although I know darned well it'll all be there waiting for me when I get home.
Glad to hear Mr. Sage is doing well again.

Michelle said...

What an idyllic get-away! Always a mixed bag, though, isn't it? We miss and worry about our critters, I never sleep as well in my own bed, and there's more people around. We're taking a trip in November so I'll get to experience all that, but without the relaxation and freedom to just "be" that you had, since I will still have to be "mom."

Tina T-P said...

Oh, I'm so glad you got a little time away - I was afraid that you'd be having a "stay-cationn" and spend ALL your time working! Good that you had fun! T.

L'Hélène said...

"I was welcomed back in a cloud of fur, meows, slobbers and a few baas."

Awwwwww!! and LOL @ the mental image!

Tammy said...

Thanks everyone. It was nice to get away, and the 'stay-cation' part was nice too. I'm voting for vacations once a month! ha.