Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fall Colors...

Hard Maple in the front yard...

Saturday was a beautiful day--sunny and warm, but not too warm. Our fall colors are not going to be dramatic, but let's face it..even a so-so color display is still pretty fantastic, if you just look around. Many of the leaves have already been stripped from the trees, and the oaks have went straight to rusty brown. But here and there...splashes of vivid color.


Click to biggify any of these pictures to catch the colors and detail.

Most of Saturday I spent working around the place; cleaning up the gardens, putting away flotsam and jetsam that accumulate during the summer, and some housework. I also took pictures and played with the kittens. I had hoped to mow the front, but the battery didn't take the charge, so it's back on the charger for a longer period of time.


I also made a hurried trip down to Leadmine to shop at the Amish/Mennonite stores. The produce stand was shut down for the year which was a disappointment. I only wanted a few apples, but I also wanted the best fresh bread in the world. The lady that runs the stand says her mom bakes the bread and it is just so good. Oh well.... I went over to the bakery instead and got a couple of their loaves and some apple bread.

Then I went to the bulk store/scratch and dent (yes I know an odd combination, but it works..it was very busy there). I took the back roads back, and it was just so pretty.

All in all it was a nice day. The sunshine felt so good, and it's amazing how it helps with my attitude!

Rush Hour?

Prime Parking Space in the Horse and Buggy Section...

6 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful leaves! And I love seeing the buggies.

Tonia said...

I miss being close to Leadmine and Pumpkin Center...

thecrazysheeplady said...

Neat!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Do you remember one winter day, a buggy, a man, his child and snowflakes?

Pat in east TN said...

Nice fall pictures and the Amish in their buggies reminds me of my husbands home area in Ohio.

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing your trip; it was lovely. I could handle traveling by buggy, although I don't know how Russell would feel about it.... :-)