Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Smothered In Fur


It's been a little over two weeks since Ariel passed. Maybe it's a little easier, but we all still miss her. Learning new routines to cover up the empty spot, sometimes something will spark, and I will miss her terribly. The critters have coped in their own little furry ways.

Boone has had a couple of 'accidents' in the breezeway, marking places he shouldn't. He gets in trouble, but I know that he is stressed, and lonely, so I cut him some slack. It doesn't take much anyway to destroy his 'feelings on his shoulder' outlook. We've made a point to get out and about so he can get distraction. Walks, a couple of rides in the truck, a trip to the river.

The cats almost succeeded in smothering me in their need for kitty comfort. Or maybe it was my need. Here are a few shots of the furries coming to grips with their loss.


Find a soft place to lay your head.


The next few shots were taken a few days after Ariel died. I had lain down for a few minutes, and was instantly covered in kitties. In the first few photos, Sage is sitting on my stomach (ouch) and you can see Meshach in the background latched onto my foot. No matter that it was still sweltering hot.






An incredibly sad face.... but some french fries got a little bit of a 'smile' from the big guy

More fries please?

And so it goes......I wouldn't trade my 'just animals' for anything. Nope.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

When I read your title and the first couple lines of your post, I was thinking you were going write about something else. I remember the first couple times I vacuumed the house after Rosie died; it broke my heart all over again to vacuum up her short little hairs on the hardwood, knowing she wouldn't never shed any more. Off to find some tissues...again....

Shula said...

Isn't it strange how animals deal with grief and loss? My other dogs were very quiet for several days after Ji was put to sleep, and we came back from the vets alone. Anytime I cried or got upset they would all come and lie beside me so they were touching. I'm sorry for your loss Tammy.

Vicki Lane said...

A furry friend is a wonderful poultice for a bruised heart.

Pat in east TN said...

It takes time for all to heal, human and furry ones. I love the pictures you shared, but the last ones of Boone are priceless! Whatta smile!!

Kathy said...

I am glad to hear that your little family comforts each other through this empty time. There are times when I know the cats sense my need for comfort from them. And they give it willingly.
Whomever said animals have no feelings was a fool. They are better comfort than most humans.
Hugs and pats to all of you from a bit south and west...

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'm glad for kitties and sheeps and dogs that try their best to make us feel better even as they are hurting too. {{{hug}}}