Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Introducing.........

First there was Rouen (Shandrew Rouen)

Then came her daughter, Duckie (Fairlight Duckie)

Then there was another daughter, Birdie (Fairlight Birdie)

and now introducing:
Fairlight Chickadee
(Locksfield Griffin x Fairlight Duckie)

Chickie is my only 'keeper' ewe lamb this year. I had to make some really hard choices, as I am trying to keep the flock numbers down, but this little gal spoke to my heart from the beginning. Like I really needed another black ewe.... I did want to keep at least one Griffin daughter though, since I'm trying to build spots into my flock. Chickie's brother is Omen, pictured with her below. (He is also still available for-sale).

I love her sweet little face--even if she does have those large ears that Griffin seemed to stamp on his lambs this year. I expect she'll grow to 'em.


Chickie's fleece is very nice so far, with an interesting lock structure. She will most likely be a primitive double coat, like her mom and grandma---but once in a while this line throws a really exceptionally nice fleece, so time will tell.

Did I mention I love her sweet little face? It's very hard to get a decent picture of her, as she is definitely a lap sheep, and will make a bee-line for me the minute I walk out into the pasture. I think she could stand for hours getting scratches and attention, constantly wagging her little tail. I'm very pleased with my little 'keeper' ewe this year.

And I promise I won't call anyone "Turkey"...at least not officially....

No comments: