Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New Chicken Perch

Out doing chores the other morning, I happened to glance up and see this. Of course I didn't have my camera with me, but I thought it was worth trying to dash to the house and back to capture it. I managed to snap one distant picture before Blue started to walk away, but I was able to 'enlarge' it enough to get a decent showing. (Gotta love digital cameras!) It's not the greatest quality, but it tickles my funny bone. You have to know Blue, to really appreciate this. He is a seven year old Merino ram. An old man. A very crotchety and cranky old man. He seemed unperturbed by his passenger, and the hen was evidently enjoying her foot massage therapy on her wool cushioned, lanolin coated perch.

3 comments:

Pat in east TN said...

Goodness sakes but that picture is priceless!

Kathy said...

I love it! I don't think any of my sheep have allowed the chickens that privilege yet. Skittles will even chase them out of his pen sometimes. Lately it's been so sultry that he just lays there and looks at them, not wanting to move out of the shade or exert himself in the heat. Smart ram.
And who says 7 is old for a ram? They're just getting into their breeding prime! They have made it through stuff that kills off the non-fit-for-breeding-stuff and now can pass on great genes and wisdom. :)

Janna's Page said...

ROFL that reminds me of the picture that M took of the geese standing on Ernie's back..

He had to lie on the floor of the back porch and just barely open the door to get it.