Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Squash In A Bucket and other Garden Surprises


This year, I was running behind in sowing my garden, so I slapped some dirt in several buckets and large flower pots, then went through all my old (some that were really old) seeds and randomly chose something to plant. So into one bucket went about ten squash (of numerous varieties) seeds. Into another bucket went watermelon plants from some volunteers in the backyard. Then I toted the buckets around to a sunny spot, spread some feed sacks on the ground to cut back the weeds and left them to percolate. Or sprout.

It looks like the yellow crookneck squash, or squarsh as folks used to call it, won out. I can't believe how many squash are growing on these plants, in this one little bitty bucket! I'll be picking several in the next few days. In a normal year, this whole bucket thing might not work for these vining plants, but it's been a wet year and they've really thrived.

Next to the squash, I peeked amongst the watermelon vines and found several little golf ball size melons hiding.
Now if I can just figure out what the heck that is I planted in the backyard. I thought it was pumpkins, but they sure are funny shaped for pumpkins! Hmmmm...Millet plants in the dark, after a gentle rain.
(This looks purtier if you biggify it).

4 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Love the millet picture -- looks like goblins marching!

Pat in east TN said...

Interesting how your 'bucket garden' has developed ... that is way too cool!!!

I am not familiar with the millet plants ... neat picture.

Anonymous said...

Yummy!

Tammy said...

Millet is what you often see in birdseed. (Small brownish seeds). I fed a mixed bag of bird seed one year a long time ago, and every since this patch has re-seeded itself!
Tammy