Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Tabitha's Ewe Lamb

This little ewe lamb is out of Locksfield Griffen and Locksfield Tabitha. She is a pretty little girl, very feminine and correct. She has an interesting fleece, it is rather long and free flowing with loose crimp. So far it is very soft and luxurious. When she was born she had brown cheek markings and she still retains them at two months. I'm hoping she might be a modified. She also had a good size white spot under her throat, which has since 'went away'. Her solid black twin sister has been sold, and this little ewe is looking for her new home too. If she doesn't sell, she may be a keeper for me. Right now I have one keeper ewe lamb in mind for sure (sister to Omen), who is also black and also has these faint brown smudges around her face. I'm also having difficulty not keeping Willow's lovely little musket ewe and this girl of Tabitha's! Ah, the decisions! However, I have got to get the flock down to a more manageable size--for all our sakes---mine, the sheepies and the pasture!Even though nameless, this little gal is a charmer. She is a bit shy, but will come up and sniff and check things out. She also has been known to stand up on or paw my back, when I'm otherwise occupied. Her mother is a sweet little moorit ewe, who consistently twins every year. Her sire is a black smirslet/sokket, so she should carry some spotting genetics.



If you are interested in a young starter ewe flock, I've got four little ewes who will make a wonderful foundation for you (If I don't change my mind...ha)! All spot carriers and including colors of black, moorit, musket and possibly shaela.

No comments: