Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Friday, March 21, 2008

All That Glitters...


Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Robert Frost


The other evening after we had experienced 6.5 inches of rain in two days, the water had finally subsided and as I looked out my back door I saw this. The ground was glistening with gold. I had to walk out and see if my eyes were tricking me, but indeed the ground was littered with gold. They were tiny seeds and buds driven from the elm tree during the rain. It was lovely, and magical and not something I'll soon forget. (Click to enlarge--I promise you will enjoy the magic!)

Shearing is tomorrow. Pray for a smooth experience! Light showers are possible tonight, but if I can get everyone under cover it shouldn't matter. Tomorrow will be a brisk 50s but so far no talk of rain. I'm cleaning house now, and have food slow cooking, for my helpers. The sheep will have a shivery couple of days, but I hope everyone will be fine.

That's it for now, back to work!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you haven't been washed away by all the rain I've been hearing about. May your shearing go smoothly and injury-free, and lambs start popping out everywhere soon after!

Kathy said...

I, too, have had you on my mind lately - you and all the other Shetland people in the Midwest. I'm glad you're OK.

Your gold is like my diamonds when I see the sun glistening on snow. I then remember to stop grumbling about it and just LOOK. :)

Can't wait to see your nekked sheep!

Happy Easter! May the Easter Sheep bring you lots of chocolate lambs!

Crosswinds Farm said...

Really neat pictures, especially when you biggify them. Thanks for sharing your gold! Happy Easter!

Michelle said...

Naked sheep pix! Naked sheep pix! And more lambs! Lambs!!! (Pretty please? :-)

Tammy said...

Soon Michelle! Soon! I've got both to share, but haven't gotten it done yet. It looks like a busy week around here, with one new set of twins on the ground and another 4 ewes looking ready to pop any moment.
Tammy