Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Need For Solitude


Need For Solitude

I wanted so much to get away from the city and its people,
Go out into the countryside and unwind,
The sun wrapped its arms around me,
and the wind played with my hair,
We don't need loud music-or the sound of motors,
or the hum of cities-or the crowds of people,
To feel secure.
LH
'74

Last summer I found this crude but lovely old plaque in a flea market. It's made from an old piece of what was probably a crate, with 'wheat' faintly stamped on the back side. The words have been wood burned into it. It spoke to me the minute I saw it, crammed behind some whatnots on a shelf. Did 'LH' cry these words from their heart, or did they copy a well loved quote? Always the mystery and the questions.

Going to the 'big city' today, brings these words more clearly in focus. Visiting the madness of the city is sometimes interesting--after all there are no bookstores or coffee shops in the field next door-- and anticipated, but it doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off. About three hours of it and I am ready to leave. It is so good to have the option of driving away from the people and the crowds, back to the quietness and earthy smell of the country. Not just good, but a blessing from God. There are many people who long for the quietness of the country.
When you are out there in the early morning, and it's still dark and cold. Your fingers are freezing as you try to chop ice from water tubs, and unlatch stubborn gates. Or as you drive miles over slick roads to get to work. As winter wears you down, and you long for easier times and an early spring, remember the reasons you choose to live in the country. For those who want to live in the country and can't--I hope you can find your small bit of quiet and solitude today.

3 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

All so true. It's a blessing to live in the country and it's a blessing that it's not for everyone.

sheila said...

Well said. I get frustrated once in awhile when I need or want to buy something and don't have time to drive the hour it takes to get to a town of any size. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful. I can't imagine not being able to live in the country!

Nancy K. said...

I wouldn't trade the long drive, through deer populated hills and valleys, or the chopping ice and freezing fingers when I care for my animals in the winter, for the convenience of take out and delivery life of the city (although the thought of a home-delivered pizza IS appealing!).I don't need to spend money to see a show to be entertained ~ my animals entertain me daily! I don't need neighbors for companionship ~ my animals are better company than most people anyway! Country living IS hard ~ but it is SO peaceful and rewarding. I couldn't be happier...