Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

After Christmas Slump...

Whew....I'm hustled and bustled right out.

Well, all the hustle and bustle of Christmas is over. Now its just putting away all the holiday stuff, finding a nook or cranny to keep my newly acquired treasures, and sift through all my old stuff to see what has to go to make room for the new.

It was a good Christmas--spent with family and friends. Eating lots of good food, visiting and of course giving and receiving presents. Trying to savor and draw out the moments, knowing it'll all be over in just a short time.

I got several new movies, and books and books on tapes to add to my 'stash'. (okay, its a huge stash...but whatever...) I also got lots of other nice gifts that I have been enjoying the last few days. I'm working on getting all the cards and paper and sacks tucked away in the Christmas tub. Every year I write out what I got on a slip of paper and tuck it in the box too. It's fun to look back and see how long I've had something. (For instance, looking at a picture of me on a birthday, shall we say when I was very very young, I saw I got a desk light. Hmmm... no wonder my desk light is so ratty looking! It's over 25 years old!)

Now its ORGANIZATION time. Just like clockwork, once Christmas is over, I hit my 'I'm gonna get this place organized' phase. Sometimes I really make some dents too. Sometimes. At the head of the list is rounding up all the receipts for taxes. Then I really need to organize and categorize my sheep files. I've gotten the work table cleared off (one of those four foot plastic tables which has revolutionized my life! I set it up near the stove in the back and in the winter it becomes the dining table, my paperwork station and crafts projects table. Except when it becomes a catch all...then its just a mess station). Now I just need to get busy with the 'files'. Yuck.

The local radio station had a rare moment of clarity and realized this would be a slumpy weekend, so they have generously devoted the entire weekend to 70s music. Nice.

Alrighty, I can't think of any other excuses not to tackle that pile of papers. Not even one.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Thank heavens for tax software is all I can say. :)

I know what you mean about the holidays being over. I try to get my orchids to bloom in Feb. to give some color to the by-then surroundings here. I'm glad the holidays are over - both the DH and I were down with a bug of some sort, so New Years Day we just laid around in the recliners, blankets over us, cats on top of us, a nice fire in the woodburner and movies on TV. It was a really nice day and we both got some much needed rest.

Happy New Year, Tammy!

Tina T-P said...

Hope you are safe from all the inclement weather happening in your area! T.

Tammy said...

Kathy--I chicken out and take it to the tax people. I think in another year or so, I'll be able to manage it, but since I've started 'claiming the farm' it has gotten a little more tricky. Sounds like you had a really nice New Year's Day! :-)

Tina---we were blessed again, thankfully! It was some kind of awful night and not many people got much sleep. The storms were just moving through so slowly and there were so many warnings out that it was almost imposssible to keep up with. I have a scanner and that helped a little with the local stuff. Since I live in the country we haven't gotten the sirens, of course, so its hard sometimes to know whats going on. The storms kept coming in and following the same path, so certain areas were repeatedly getting hit. I think there were at least two people killed and alot of homes destroyed within the area. No damage, and no tornadoes at my place though. I had a pile of blankets, pillows, my purse and other necessities piled in the pantry---collars on the dogs and a plan to try and cram me, the dogs and two cats in there! Thankfully we didn't have too. Thanks for asking!
Tammy