Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Monday, August 20, 2007

BEAUTIFUL RAIN!



After six weeks of no rain, bone dry conditions, last night the rain finally started in earnest. We have had a couple of teaser showers, but nothing that had even settled the dust.

It rained off and on all night and has been steadily raining all morning. Its glorious! It's wonderful! I thank God! Rain means pasture, perhaps second hay cuttings! It also means the trees will perk back up and maybe some of the garden will have survived. Thank You! Thank You!

The sheep were pretty sure they would melt this morning when it was time to go out on pasture. They told me in high pitched whiny voices that maybe I should just bring them some food to the barn. However I was sure they would be fine, and rudely shoved them out into the gently falling rain. What they didn't know was that I had clipped some limbs for them the night before, so they had a fresh treat waiting for them. This shepherd is hoping that it rains softly all day and washes some of that awful accumulated dirt and mud out of their fleeces. They will probably all shed a pound or two just in dirt.

I hear thunder in the distance, so I best end this for now. I hope all who are in need of rain, also get good gentle soaking showers today.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We, too, are getting blessed by rain. It's wonderful!