Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Baaa-d Farmer

While relating my hay predicament to my sister in an e-mail, I told her I wasn't a 'baaa-d' farmer, just one that had miscalculated. Shortly thereafter, I received via e-mail this story my sister wrote. As usual in this family you have to be careful that you don't inspire a story or poem with some innocently said word or deed. I found it quite funny, and some of the sheep antics were right on target. :-) I hope you enjoy it too.

Baaa-d Farmer

The sheep ran up the hill. The sheep ran down the hill. They were sure they had heard the Farmers voice. Where could she be, they all thought?
“Well, I believe we should take matters into our own hooves.” Said young Beater who was trying to take charge. “I think we have a baaa-d farmer.”
Their stomachs growled. They needed to eat. It was the middle of the winter and the ground was frozen. There was nothing to eat and they needed to eat – NOW.
“Now before we start running in circles, let’s think this through.” Said Maaa the matriarch of the group.
“Now look, Maaa,” Beater said, “Your ways are the old ways. We youngsters like to act now – you know in the moment.” He smoothed his rumpled head wool.
She ignored the young ram. “This is what we know. This morning we ate our hay. This morning we saw our Farmer. Just a few hours ago we had food. She won’t let us down. We must trust in what we know.”
“Did you hear that?” said Beater. “It’s her voice again.” And he ran up the hill. All of the young lambs followed him. But when they got to the top they were spooked by the sound of their own hooves hitting the ground and immediately ran back down the hill. “Wait!!!”
With all but Beater back in the flock, Maaaa began again, “We know we were fed this morning. We know we were fed last night. Therefore I conclude that we will be feddd tonight.”
“But, I heard the Farmer say ‘That’s the last of the square bales.’” Said Siiiister. “And it is only two hours before dark.”
The flock -old and young- looked at Maaa. “We have to trust her.”
Suddenly, from a distance the world’s in harmony (no wait a minute that’s a song). From a distance the flock could see someone walking toward them. The person’s face and hands were covered. Only beady eyes looked out. To their side was a huge flat-faced wolf. The flock started to bleat and shake.
Then to their surprise they recognized their Farmer girl and the big wolf next to her wasn’t a wolf at all but the big dog that chased when he shouldn’t. All of a sudden, behind the intruders bolted the experienced collie they trusted to guide them. To the flocks amazement the collie herded them to a hill they had never been to. When they reached the top they could see a field with large round bales – just ready for eating. They, the flock, were saved.
The End.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Where are you???? Baaa-d blogger....!