Like a walk through the country side living on a small farm is full of daily surprises, sometimes wonderful and amazing, and other times puzzling and sad. I hope you will walk with me as I live out my dream of living on this tiny farm. You will come to know the dogs, cats, Shetland sheep and chickens that make up this farm and what goes into keeping them happy and healthy. Come and join the journey with me.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sheep, Snow, Hay....


Just a few pictures taken last weekend, when we had another storm system that came through and dumped about 3 inches of snow over the ice. Thankfully we had about two days during the previous week that were above freezing and most of the ice slipped off the trees, so there was no further tree damage. Here are the girls (with the big Merino ram in the background in another pasture), chewing on some downed limbs, killing time....they were so bored for the week they had to be penned in the small paddock by the barn.
Needless to say there weren't many people who were thrilled with the prospect of more snow, since many were still without electricity and the linemen were struggling to get power restored to the area. The snow actually turned to rain for about an hour at one point, and I know there were lots of people whose guts probably clenched in dread! I know mine did. Then it turned to a sleety snow that really didn't amount to much trouble at all.

You can just see the round bales peeking out between snow and limbs in this shot........











Here is the bale buggy---loaded with the next bale, 'just in case' the weather turns crazy again, its ready to go--just add tractor. You can see some of the downed limbs behind it (the ones covering the hay bales) and that is the Shetland Rams in the background.

I know I'm posting alot of 'catch-up'...but I feel quite giddy with relief that the electricity is on and hopefully things will settle down a bit! :-)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

So happy to read your posts and know that you have power again! You've been on my mind and in my prayers. How is the Dorset girl?