I'll start moving them onto pasture probably next week. I'm moving panels around at night now, working to get the ram's pen set back up and also some fencing around the lilacs to protect them. If I can get that all done, then I will be able to turn the girls and lambs out in front for awhile in the evenings so they can 'mow' for me. I always start them off a little at a time to avoid bloat problems. Fifteen minute increments is usually how it works. I'll also get them some bi-carb of soda, which they can eat free choice. This seems to really help them out when they are on new pasture. They will really scarf it down during this season. Anyway, a few minutes out on the front pasture until they are up to an hour or two, then, hopefully by then their main pasture will be ready for them to turn out on . (Trying to convince them that 15 minutes is long enough can be quite a fiasco!) Once they are out on the main pasture, things will settle down again. It'll be noisy and chaotic for a week or so as the girls demand to be on new grass ALL the time before they are ready.
It seems its never just 'turn them out' and forget about it---a person has to plan everything---like making sure the rams pen is fenced and ready so they can be put in there, before the girls are turned out into the pasture that adjoins the ram's current pasture, etc. etc.! :-) Step by step.....
I sure would have been in a pickle if my hay guy hadn't come through for me at the last minute! With the hard freeze, even some of the cattle farmers had to go back to feeding hay. I did talk to the guy the other night at a neighbor's visitation. He said that he was pretty sure all the lesepdeza got frozen off and probably was killed out. I told him I didn't care what kind of hay he puts up I just want some of it! I think the other options are brome and maybe some bermuda. We will see what happens. I plan to order about 50 more square bales and likely 10 more rounds just to make sure I don't run into the hay shortage situation again!
With the heavy rains last night we got a bit of thunder and lightening. There was one dramatic lightning bolt that took out my answering machine. I think this is the second one to expire in the last six months. I'm going to try and get a surge protector and see if that will help any. It's not that they are that expensive, but if you have to replace one every few months--well that is just silly and a waste of money.
I now have four little wethers looking for new homes! I made the decision to go ahead and band them since although they carry the potential for spots, they none had anything outstanding about them either. It's easier for me, since I don't have alot of acreage to raise a few wether's instead of rams. This way they can stay with the ewes until the head off for their new homes.